Being a truck driver doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice healthy living. Eating right and exercising are just as important–if not MORE important–in this profession as any other. So, rather than opting for fast food or truck stop meal options, consider taking along homemade snacks to ensure you are getting the nutrients you need to live healthy and drive safely.
Here are the top road trip snacks for the long haul:
- Apples are great for road trips because they keep well on their own. They don’t bruise or perish easily. And, they’re great to dip in peanut butter or any other nut butter for protein. Also, apples are loaded with the energy you need to keep going all day without the sugar crash!
- Broccoli florets, Snap Peas, Carrots
- Reach for these to get your veggie fix. Like apples, these vegetables hold up well on their own and don’t require refrigeration. Carrots are great for dipping in hummus, guacamole, or ranch. But, make sure to get some variety. (Remember: the darker green the vegetable, the better!) Broccoli and snap peas are mild dark green vegetables that make for some great snacking options.
- Nuts are excellent road trip snacks because they are low maintenance. They’re super snackable and come in many different varieties, so you don’t have to worry about getting bored with one flavor. They’re also packed with important healthy fats and protein.
- Snacking on the road doesn’t mean giving up meat. If you’re a true meat eater, bring along some jerky to satisfy your cravings. But, remember to reach for the natural stuff. There are types that do not have a bunch of additives (and are better tasting, too!).
- Dark Chocolate
- Yes, you can have something sweet, too! When chocolate cravings come to play, always go for dark. Like… DARK dark. Anything 80% or higher is great in moderation. Not only does dark chocolate have heart health benefits, but it also contains important antioxidants.